In 1945, Hough Fuel, was founded by John S. Hough, Sr. Mr. Hough was originally a commission agent for Gulf Oil, delivering petroleum products to farmers, commercial accounts and a few small service stations. He also delivered heating oil to homes and businesses.
In Trenton, NJ, the Hough Fuel business was run from John's home, and the trucks were kept on an empty lot on Duck Island, across from Gulf Oil's terminal.
In 1948, John S. "Jack" Hough, III joined the business.
In 1958, Jack Hough purchased land and built offices at 340 4th Street in Trenton, NJ, which still serves as the company's headquarters. The business continued to grow, adding storage and loading facilities and acquiring three competing home heating oil companies.
In 1981, Hough Fuel sold their heating oil business and concentrated on the sale of commercial motor fuels and lubricants. Gary Hough, the 3rd generation and former President, was hired as the Controller in October of this year.
In 1983, Hough Fuel became a Gulf Branded gasoline distributor, and Gary Hough became Vice President. It became a Citgo Branded gasoline distributor in 1986.
By 1989, Hough had expanded its headquarters to include the adjacent neighboring property and built the current bulk lubricants storage facility. Rich Hough, also joined the company in this year.
In 1990, Hough changed its corporate name from J.S. Hough Fuel Service, Inc. to Hough Petroleum Corp., and its trade name from Hough Fuel to Hough Petroleum.
In 1992, Jack Hough retired and Gary became President, and continued to grow the company.
In 2001, Hough Petroleum acquired the Lubricant Division of Koenig Petroleum, of Bordentown, NJ. Koenig is a Shell Branded Lubricant distributor and has added a valuable brand to Hough Petroleum's product slate.
In 2002, the BP brand was added to the portfolio of gasoline brands.
In 2009, Hough Petroleum began marketing biodiesel as a green alternative fuel.
In 2013, Greg Hough, the company’s 4th generation, and current President and CEO, joined Hough Petroleum as an Account Manager.
In January 2016, Hough Petroleum added a wholesale auto parts division partnering with Mighty Auto Parts.
In October 2017, Hough Petroleum acquired the dealer retail outlets of Gordon Petroleum, of Holmdel, NJ. This acquisition added approximately 5 million gallons of gasoline annually and expanded Hough’s geographical footprint into New York.
In September 2018, Hough established the George E. Abel ’78 Memorial Scholarship to award scholarships to a student-athlete from Rider University. In addition, Hough held their first Annual Charity Golf Outing for the benefit of the George Abel Memorial Scholarship and the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
In August of 2019, Hough Capital was founded, the VC Arm of Hough Petroleum focused on investing in clean energy, transportation, logistics, oil & gas, and real estate.
In October of 2019, Hough Petroleum launched its newest product line of Advantage Motor Oil. Advantage has a full line of PCMO’s, Euro specs, HDEO, Industrial Oils, Hydraulic Fluids, Process Oils, Gear Oils, Railroad Oils, Transmission & Metalworking Fluids!
In October 2020, Hough Petroleum announced its partnership with FreeWire as a certified reseller of the FreeWire DC Electric Vehicle Fast Chargers.
In February 2021, Gary Hough retired, and Greg Hough became President & CEO.
Today, Hough Petroleum is a full service, branded lubricant and motor fuels supplier.